Wednesday, January 3, 2018

IWSG: Scheduling Creativity


It's the first Wednesday! Which means IWSG Day. Today's question: What steps have you taken to put a schedule in place for your writing and publishing?

After you see what I have to say, be sure to check out other posts and our lovely and generous co-hosts:  Tyrean Martinson, The Cynical Sailor, Megan Morgan,Rachna Chhabria, and Jennifer Lane.
______________________________

I used to write whenever inspiration struck. That meant I'd write a lot…sometimes. 

But then it might be months before I'd write again. I'd fall in love with a project, but lose interest before I ever finished anything. I'd lose the flow because I didn't get back to a project soon enough. 

It was that way most of my life. Until (trumpet flourish please): 

Four years ago, I committed to a daily writing habit.

I decided I would write 250 words every day come hell or high water. And at first it was ridiculously difficult. Despite great support from my family giving me time and space of an evening, it would sometimes take me two or three hours to hit that minimum. But I made myself. Even when it wasn't easy, even when I had a headache or really just wanted to go to bed. I wasn't going to let it go this time. 

And it got better over time. I got faster. It got easier. 

Now I've written daily for more than four years in a row. Some days it's only 250 words, but that's not because I struggle to *write* the words, more that some of my days demand so much of me that I can only get a half hour or so and I accept a minimal writing day to save my sanity. My school night goal these days is 800 words. On a day off, I shoot for 2000 words. But it still counts as a writing day so long as I hit at least 250. 

I want to be faster yet. I have so many stories in my brain that want telling. 

Once I got my flow going, I've been trying to get one book out a year. That pace might be a little too relentless for this phase of life, which my mother calls The Busy Years, so I slowed down a bit in 2017. Here at year end, I don't have a book ready yet for 2018, but I still might before the new year is out :-)

In 2018, I'm planning to up the ante. I have to write 250 words of fiction for it to count. I'll still keep up my blog posts and articles and such, but the day doesn't count as a writing day unless it includes at least 250 words of fiction.

I know how my brain works and I have to keep a bit of pressure on to get results. Comfort is complacency all too easily.

This isn't the right strategy for everyone, but it really works for me. Looking forward to hearing what works for you. I *love* stealing good ideas to hack my writing life. 
______________________________

If you're not already following #IWSG (Insecure Writer's Support Group), you should really check it out. The monthly blog hop is a panoply of insight into the writing life at all stages of hobby and career. Search the hashtag in your favorite social media venue and you'll find something interesting on the first Wednesday of every month.

20 comments:

  1. So glad to see that works for you! This year, I set myself a variation of your goal, except in my case, it's a 20-minute rule, where I have to write or edit something for 20 minutes every day.

    So far, so good. I'm liking the feel of momentum it gives me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used time as well. Pomodoros. An excellent measurement tool as well.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that works for you! I, myself, have never done particularly well with the 'write X number of words' every day or 'write for 20 minutes every day' type of goals. I should really try to train myself to do it once I'm really writing again.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all work differently, but the whole "don't break the chain" mindset has been motivating for me.

      Delete
  3. You gotta stick with what works for you. This year, I'm attempting to write a 100 word drabble each day. I've been putting it on the daily todo list because then I'll want to check it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checking stuff off is another surprisingly motivating thing, even though it's very small. Satisfying.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on building a steady writing habit! I'm curious: do you figure in editing time as well? May 2018 bring you clarity, peace, and lots of writing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I'm in editing mode, I give myself 10% word count credit. So, if I edited or revised 2,500 words, that counts as having written 250.

      Delete
  5. A daily writing goal can be extremely tough in the beginning. But overtime, as long as you stick with it, it gets easier. Good for you for keeping at it and not giving up. I'm doing much the same this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Habit building is tough, but now it would feel really weird to go to bed without writing, so I guess I've made a habit of it.

      Delete
  6. I write everyday--not in the busy years anymore--and it still is hard sometimes. I'm better for it though. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  7. I soooooooo need to do this. It's simple but not easy. But I need to do it. 250 words/day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really envy your steady routine and would love to take that idea on board. I think I'd be thrilled to hit a goal like "write 15 minutes every day" because my output has been so very inconsistent the past two years as my editing business has picked up and my family crises become more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how fast progress piles up with even a small amount of writing down every day.

      Delete
  9. Four years! I am impressed. Proof that dedication - and just a decision to make it happen - is the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stubborn that way. I just decided that promises I made to myself were also real promises and that they matter.

      Delete
  10. Wow, Samantha--you've written daily for FOUR years in a row? That is phenomenal! Good for you. I think a lot of people make the mistake of setting goals that are too big. By keeping your goal to 250 words, you've been able to achieve it where others have failed. Well done!

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think you're right that the smallness of the goal is important. Even on a busy day, or one when I am sick, I can manage the minimum I've set.

      Delete